Beyond Breakfast Update: October 2013
You might also be staring in confusion at those organic banana slices. What’s that stuff on top? Glad you asked. In addition to her eggs and Amasai bowl, Samantha gets 1/2 banana sprinkled with Beyond Organic Sweet Greens granola. The granola is grain-free and enzymatically-activated so it’s easy to digest and full of nutrients. And now… on to the original post!
Original Beyond Breakfast Post
While I enjoy creating new crazy concoctions in the kitchen whenever I find some spare time or extra energy, sometimes, you just want a go-to meal that’s healthy, easy, and can be made before your brain fully powers up (aka pre-coffee). Who’s with me?!
Of course, if you’ve got a handy, handsome Paul Smith around, you can simply outsource this meal to him, as he is not only the original creator of this family fave breakfast, but he’s the sole preparer of it in the Smith household. In the event you’re a Paul Smith short, you can use his famous breakfast recipes below.
Author’s note: Think of this meal prep suggestion more like a story told from a sleepy onlooker’s perspective rather than a hard-and-fast recipe. I think I’ve watched him enough times to give you a duplicatable meal plan…so good luck with that.
- Crack 2 organic, cage-free eggs into a small bowl.
- Fish out the shells that somehow get in there every time you crack an egg. Call the eggs “stupid” for good measure.
- Whisk with a fork because you either can’t find the whisk or feel more powerful without it.
- Pour whisked eggs into a small pan and cook ’em. You’ll probably want a low heat setting. Yeah. That sounds good.
- Sprinkle with grated Beyond Organic cheddar or havarti cheese. Note that you didn’t have to grate that cheese yourself because you’ve got one of those fancy handheld cheese graters that does it for you! (Don’t have one? Why not?! Get it here.)
- Once egg starts to cook a bit, stick a spatula under it and grab as much as you can. Sure, some of it is still runny and this seems like the wrong way to do it, but it’s not. I’ve watched Paul Smith do it a million times. Just follow directions and stop second-guessing.
- Take that spatula full of falling-off-the-spatula eggs and quickly flip it over. Keep cooking the eggs. I don’t know how long. Sorry.
- At some point, I know I’ve seen him cut the egg into little squares with the spatula. Maybe the cheese holds it together or something. Somehow, the runny-ness of the egg seems to cease, and the golden-brown-but-never-burnt deliciousness appears.
- Oh, and meanwhile (at some point above, not exactly sure where), you’re going to want to prepare the Amasai & Omega bowl…
Amasai & Omega Bowl
- Cut up some fresh organic fruit and throw it in a bowl (we like bananas, nectarines, seedless grapes, plums, strawberries, and blueberries).
- Pour your favorite flavor of Beyond Organic Amasai (cultured dairy) allllllllllll over it.
- Sprinkle (I’d suggest 1/2T to a full Tablespoon) Beyond Organic Terrain Omega (a powerful chia-probiotic-complex infused with raw, fermented herbs) on top, and stir it in.
- Say grace, and serve.
And that’s a Smith breakfast for Samantha, served Daddy-style.