A Spin on Spinach
This Spacegirl spinach dish was so easy to prepare, it almost shouldn’t count as a “recipe”, but sometimes simple things fail to get their fair shake, so I’m dedicating this post to a spin on spinach.
And as a bonus…
We don’t eat a lot of grains any more, but we’re always happy to make an exception! Spacegirl Organics had a sale on organic farro–the nutty-flavored ancient grain pronounced FAWR-oh–so we scooped some up and piled it high. We also stocked up on organic extra virgin olive oil from Spacegirl, so we added a tangy twist to our farro with an emulsified lemon juice and olive oil mixture. Delish!
Wilted Spinach Recipe
- Rinse your fresh spinach well to remove all dirt and grit.
- Allow to dry thoroughly (I clean mine a full day in advance to avoid lingering moisture).
- Cut off the ends, but feel free to leave part of the stems.
- Heat a large saute pan with 1 tsp. coconut oil and 1 clove of garlic, minced.
- Add spinach and spread out in pan to avoid stacking leaves. (Stacked leaves will trap moisture and will cause your spinach to cook down into a mush-mess rather than wilt/crisp).
- Allow spinach to cook for a minute or two, then stir leaves to evenly distribute heat.
- Cook another minute or two, stir, and repeat a few times until leaves begin to crisp up a bit.
- Sprinkle with a sharp, hard cheese (I use Beyond Organic Raw Cheddar) and serve.
We served the spinach and farro along with stuffed sunburst squash and wild-caught Alaskan salmon. What a great meal!