Paul and I had some people over to the house recently and I got the chance to try a new recipe with produce from my favorite produce provider, Spacegirl Organics. They sent a beautiful pint of sweet peppers and such huge sweet potatoes that I couldn’t wait to put them to use together in a hearty mixture that’s filling yet not over-indulgent. This recipe is kid-tested so it’s also being archived in the baby/toddler recipe section of this blog.
The original concept of this sweet potato salad recipe came from Glow Kitchen, but we put a little spin on it to make it our own. Several asked for the recipe, so here it is!
Sweet Potato Salad Ingredients
- 4 pounds of organic sweet potatoes, washed and scrubbed, then chopped into small cubes (don’t remove the skins; they provide excellent nutrition!)
- 1 pint of organic sweet peppers, trimmed and diced with seeds removed
- 1 yellow pepper, trimmed and diced with seeds removed
- 6 scallions (roughly chopped green parts and finely chopped white parts)
- 1/3 cup of finely diced sweet onion
- 1 cup of roughly chopped fresh mint leaves
- 6 T fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 3 T fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup EVOO
- 1-2 T coconut oil for baking potatoes
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (skip for the kiddos, unless they like a little heat!)
- himalayan salt and pepper
Sweet Potato Salad Recipe
- Toss sweet potato cubes in coconut oil, spread out on 2 baking sheets and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together your two juices and EVOO. Add in cayenne pepper and a dash of salt.
- Once cooked, remove sweet potatoes from the oven and immediately add onions and peppers, then toss with half of the juice/oil mixture.
- Taste test! Add a little more salt, if needed, and another 1/4 of the dressing.
- Refrigerate for an hour (or a day…or anywhere in between), add the rest of the dressing (does not need to be refrigerated overnight) and give a good stirring before serving.
- Serve in a pretty crystal bowl or something that shows off the bright colors of your veggies!
As originally seen on http://www.glowkitchen.com/2012/11/zesty-sweet-potato-salad/ then slightly altered to showcase my Spacegirl Organics deliveries!